2.21.2008

First Generation New Mexican, RIP Grandpa Robert Benavidez 1912-2008


I received a phone call this morning from my Father informing me that my Great-Grandfather, Robert Benavidez of La Mesa, New Mexico passed away at his home early this morning; he was 95. He has been sick since Thanksgiving but the old man had stuck it out. He was born, raised, and lived in the small farming community on the Rio Grande all his life. He lived his life as a farmer, landowner, and good father. I was thinking about how my grandpa Robert grew up simultaneously with New Mexico. He was a first generation American New Mexican, our family has been in and around the La Mesa community since before New Mexico was called NEW Mexico. He witnessed the expansion of New Mexico's population, the evolution of agriculture, and the true assimilation of our people into full bred Americans. I remember my grandpa being a good man always happy to have visitors stop by his house off of old highway 28. I was very lucky to have known my great grandfather and have the limited conversations I remember with him, it is important to live proudly from one generation to the next and I honor my Great Grandfather today. Vayan Con Dios Abuelo and I'll see you on the other side. This photo was taken at his home Christmas Eve 2005, he is in his famous blue chair. Robert Benavidez 1912-2008.

No comments:

New Mexico Politicos