4.11.2007

The New Mexico Politico

"In America any boy may become President and I suppose it's just one of the risks he takes." - Adlai Stevenson


Since I was a kid I have always been intrigued by politics. I remember watching CNN with my grandfather Sheriff Henry B. Diaz in 1992 and asking who was running for president. My grandfather a staunch Blue Dog Democrat replied,"President Bush the Republican and our favorite Democrat William Jefferson Clinton." I think that was my first inquiry into politics. Soon after that I attended the political rally held outside the Ol' Dona Ana County Court House and being hoisted up onto my Father's shoulders to get a look at this Mr. William Jefferson Clinton and Mr. Albert Gore. I was so enthused to finally see these men I had been watching on the news with my family. My Grandparents thought it was adorable and would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I innocently responded, "The President."

I am now a double major in History-Political Science and an attentive observer of current events and our political world. I started reading blogs about a year ago and I finally decided that I would start one mainly concerned with World events and New Mexico politics. I purely want to give my perspective and the perspective held by many young Americans on the World in which we live in. I admit I am not the greatest writer but I think this is a tremendous opportunity to for me to be a "citizen soldier" and initiate a dialogue on issues that affect our society. We must be active participants in our governments, if we choose not to it is tantamount to condoning a democratic dictatorship.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

- Aaron Henry Diaz

No comments:

New Mexico Politicos