6.18.2012

Resurgence of Ideas

Aaron Henry Diaz
Las Cruces - In the fall of 2005 I was a college freshman far from the landscape and inner workings of 'la politica' in my native New Mexico. Although I was 1,549 miles away from home my honest intrigue in policy and elections kept my political 'umbilical cord' tethered to the Land of Enchantment. I decided to take part in the latest internet phenomena, 'blogging',  to offer my young (perhaps naive) commentary on politics, current events, and any other happening that caught my fancy. I can state without a doubt my decision to write in the public forum was the best decision I ever made. Life has been busy for me since 2010 and the New Mexico Politico lacked content because of time, energy, and the fact that I was living in Texas, immersed in Texas politics and policy that kept me from following New Mexico politics to the degree needed for this site. In late 2010 I decided it was time for me to return to New Mexico, I immediately found myself once again in the political trenches as an operative and subsequent candidate for city council in my hometown. While my bid for office was unsuccessful, the experience I earned proved to be invaluable to me. While I can't serve my neighbors and peers in public office right now, I will continue to serve by providing insight, analysis, commentary and ideas to my contemporaries hoping that someone at the very minimum listens with an open mind, I promise I try to do the same. The divisive nature in modern politics is ever increasing because policy has taken a backseat to an era of personalities not ideas. Personalities don't listen and neither do their followers; both Democrats and Republicans are guilty of this. It is time we have a resurgence of ideas, a new era where leaders appeal to the best of people not the worst. My involvement with News New Mexico and re-commitment to the New Mexico Politico is to promote a dialogue that current policy, political, and media leaders refuse to partake in. I refuse to shout to be heard but with consistency and a genuine enthusiasm to see my friends, family, neighbors, countrymen succeed perhaps we can influence a new era of leadership and ideas. Battles are won with weapons but wars are won with the stroke of a pen, my proverbial inkwell is ready, thanks for reading. 

No comments:

New Mexico Politicos