1.30.2009

New Mexico GOP meet Chairman Michael Steele!


Michael Steele has been elected by the Republican National Committee to serve as Chairman of the GOP. Steele, former Lt. Governor of Maryland, won on the fifth vote with a majority of 91 votes. Steele defeated four other candidates including former chairman Robert Duncan. Steele and Duncan were gridlocked in the first four votes until Duncan dropped out shortly following the fourth vote.

Chairman Steele will serve as the first African American chair of the Republican party. New Mexico national committeeman Pat Rogers reports "I had the honor of being selected as chairman Steele's representative for the vote counts. Michael Steele will be great for NM and the entire country." I am still awaiting national committeewoman Rosie Tripp's thoughts on the election of Chairman Steele.

I have been a supporter of Chairman Steele since he was Lt. Governor of Maryland. I remember watching an interview of Steele back in 2004 when I was a young conservative not yet 18. Steele impressed me and I have been following him since then. I applaud the RNC for making the right decision and hope that Chairman Steele initiates innovative programs to bring the GOP into the 21st Century.

Look for more on the New Mexico GOP's reaction to Steele's election.

No comments:

New Mexico Politicos